Inspect and monitor transportation equipment, vehicles, or systems to ensure compliance with regulations and safety standards.
- Inspect vehicles or other equipment for evidence of abuse, damage, or mechanical malfunction.
- Identify modifications to engines, fuel systems, emissions control equipment, or other vehicle systems to determine the impact of modifications on inspection procedures or conclusions.
- Perform low-pressure fuel evaluative tests (LPFET) to test for harmful emissions from vehicles without onboard diagnostics (OBD) equipment.
- Conduct remote inspections of motor vehicles, using handheld controllers and remotely directed vehicle inspection devices.
- Prepare reports on investigations or inspections and actions taken.
- Inspect vehicles or equipment to ensure compliance with rules, standards, or regulations.
- Inspect repairs to transportation vehicles or equipment to ensure that repair work was performed properly.
- Monitor or review output from systems, such as Thermal Imaging Units (TIU) or roadside imaging tools, to identify high risk commercial motor vehicles for follow-up inspections.
- Issue notices and recommend corrective actions when infractions or problems are found.
- Compare emissions findings with applicable emissions standards.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2018, the average annual wage in Kansas City, MO-KS was $67,470 with most people making between $26,880 and $127,960
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 161 people in Kansas City, MO-KS. It is projected that there will be - employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 41 replacement openings for approximately 41 total annual openings.
- Radio Mechanics
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Printing Press Operators
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Semiconductor Processors
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders