Tend, control, or operate power-driven, stationary, or portable pumps and manifold systems to transfer gases, oil, other liquids, slurries, or powdered materials to and from various vessels and processes.
- Acid Loader
- Acid Pump Operator
- Airveyor Operator
- Blend Plant Operator
- Blend Technician
- Boom Pump Operator
- Booster Station Operator
- Brewery Pumper
- Brine Well Operator
- Cable Maintainer
- Monitor gauges and flowmeters and inspect equipment to ensure that tank levels, temperatures, chemical amounts, and pressures are at specified levels, reporting abnormalities as necessary.
- Record operating data such as products and quantities pumped, stocks used, gauging results, and operating times.
- Communicate with other workers, using signals, radios, or telephones, to start and stop flows of materials or substances.
- Tend vessels that store substances such as gases, liquids, slurries, or powdered materials, checking levels of substances by using calibrated rods or by reading mercury gauges and tank charts.
- Turn valves and start pumps to start or regulate flows of substances such as gases, liquids, slurries, or powdered materials.
- Plan movement of products through lines to processing, storage, and shipping units, using knowledge of interconnections and capacities of pipelines, valve manifolds, pumps, and tankage.
- Read operating schedules or instructions or receive verbal orders to determine amounts to be pumped.
- Clean, lubricate, and repair pumps and vessels, using hand tools and equipment.
- Collect and deliver sample solutions for laboratory analysis.
- Connect hoses and pipelines to pumps and vessels prior to material transfer, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
Kansas City, MO-KS wage information is not available
Kansas City, MO-KS projection information is not available
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Derrick Operators, Oil and Gas
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Electrical Power-Line Installers and Repairers
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Sailors and Marine Oilers